Tuesday 10 July 2012

Intermission: Sore Feet

Post Race, Post Massage, Pre Sore Feet


On June 30, I ran a half marathon. It was a work-related function (team building!), and it was at the Lewa wildlife conservancy. OK, 'ran' is a bit of a misnomer. By some miracle of miracles, I finished the race. Now, my feet are sore, and I feel somehow entitled to complain to everyone (including the entire internet) about that fact.

No, I won't share with you my time. I will share that all manner of men and women (old and young, fat and skinny, white and black, etc) passed me. A 50+ year old woman with two knee braces on limped slowly past me. It was a humbling experience.

The ICJ Kenya Tent City at the Lewa Marathon.
--

In other news, I'll be heading to the Democratic Republic of the Congo next week. The DRC is a real hot spot right now (luckily not in the area that I'll be visiting), both because of the ongoing rebel activity, as well as the fact that Thomas Lubanga, the ICC's first convict, was just sentenced to 14 years imprisonment (minus the 6 he has already spent in ICC detention). I am trying to reconcile that sentence with 'normal' criminal law. It's interesting to compare the sentence someone would get in Canada for, say, manslaughter, with the sentence that Lubanga got for conscripting child soldiers. Some how it doesn't seem proportionate. But, it's a good lesson for the ICC prosecution team, though, whom the judges of the ICC took some time to heavily criticize.

Right after going to the DRC, I'll be heading to Leiden, in the Netherlands. I'm attending the Hague Symposium on Post-Conflict Transitions and International Justice. It's a 4-week long course, and I'm super stoked about it.

It's been fairly amazing, all this travelling, but there's one downside. I only have 6 pages left in my passport. Guess I'll just have to put my feet up, soon.

Twiga, Lewa Wildlife Conservancy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.